Tuesday, March 30, 2010

TwoFer Tuesday - Underground College Mix

Todays Twofer Tuesday is going to highlight two bands/singers introduced to me by my kid. I'd never had found them on my own as they arent mainstream and probably never will be. They were mostly played on MTV2 which STILL plays music and is for the underground/college stuff.

I like 90% of what she puts in front of me. And the other 10% I ususally end up singing along eventually because she'd play it so much I couldnt help but learn/like it.

This first song is one that grew on me. I can honestly say when I first heard it I couldnt get into it. Now, I look forward to its rotation on my iPods shuffle mode.

Wikipedia has this to say about this ever evolving Candadian Indie group, Broken Social Scene:
Broken Social Scene are a Juno Award-winning Canadian Indie rock band, a musical collective including as few as six and as many as nineteen members, formed in 1999 by Kevin Drew and Brendan Canning. All of its members currently play in various other groups and solo projects, mainly based around the city of Toronto. The band refuses the label "supergroup," based on size or the ubiquity of their members, claiming that in the indie scene everyone is involved in more than one project. The group's sound could be considered a combination of all of its members' respective musical projects, and is occasionally considered baroque pop. It is characterized by a very large number of sounds, grand orchestrations featuring guitars, horns, woodwinds, and violins, unusual song structures, and an experimental, and sometimes chaotic production style from David Newfeld, who produced the second and third albums.

Broken Social Scene - Lovers Spit

BTW Fiest is the guest singer on that song. You prolly know her from her MTV favorite video - 1234

And the second song off the beaten path is by Blu Cantrell. Also a different genre as she is Blues/R&B/Soul. She's never made it really big I dont think but the college kids love her. This chick has some pipes and can sing.

Blu Cantrell ft. Sean Paul - Breath

Happy Tuesday. ;)

1 comment:

meleah rebeccah said...

Happy Tuesday! Sorry I was offline for most of the day!